Thursday, March 6, 2014

Totally hooked on blackstrap molasses

If my local health food store ever quits carrying blackstrap molasses, I will cry.

The stuff is fiendishly difficult to find. If the grocery stores carry molasses at all, it's usually the Plain Jane stuff. Blackstrap has a strong flavor and it's less sweet than the other.

I've never been much of a dieter, but I have a fascination with nutrition. Blackstrap molasses is wonderful stuff -- a tablespoon gives me one-fifth of my iron and calcium for the day and a good chunk of my potassium.

It's lovely drizzled over spoonbread. The other morning I mixed mashed sweet potato, quinoa, blackstrap molasses and enough milk to make it creamy. It looked dreadful, but it was so tasty. Just sweet enough with black coffee.

This morning I had a chocolate shake for breakfast with blackstrap molasses in it. It's not as indulgent as it sounds. In fact, here's the recipe:

Breakfast chocolate smoothie

3/4 cup milk of your choice
1/2 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
1 banana
1/4 avocado
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (optional)

Warm the milk and dissolve the molasses in it. (The molasses won't dissolve in cold milk -- tried it.) Let cool. Toss an ice cube in it to cool it if you're in a hurry. Combine all ingredient in blender and blend until smooth.

Makes two cups. I'll leave it up to you as to whether it's one serving or two. For me, it's one, but it's my entire breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment