Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Why yes, I did fall off the planet

I started this blog in one of my typical fits of hypomanic ambition, followed by one of my typical phases of dropping off the planet.

But that’s not the real reason it’s been so long since I’ve posted. The real reason is I made a true and total ass of myself on the internet. In the comments on another blog, I crossed the line between sharing my experience and inflicting my opinion. I’m not going to point you to where I did it -- I was embarrassed enough already.

It’s easy to be harsh -- intentionally or unintentionally -- online. It’s easy to forget that there is a person with their own valid experience on a keyboard elsewhere. It’s hard for them to “get” what might be intended as an oddball sense of humor without seeing your face.

Plus, I come from what I describe as a family of true believers. People who don’t just write a check to a cause, but get arrested marching in the streets. I count both birthers and truthers among my nephews. It makes for interesting family gatherings. We talk about the weather a lot.

I’ve rethought things. I deleted a few posts that did not feel like my own voice, that felt like I was trying too hard. I’ve recommitted to finding my own voice. Perhaps not many will read it, but at least it’s my own.

1 comment: