Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Finally back on the bike

A stationary bike, anyway. We still have sheets of ice on our streets, and today wind gusts hit 60MPH today. Not ideal cycling weather.

Last night, went to the YMCA and did 5K on the rower and half an hour on a stationary bike. I’m a slow cyclist, so when there’s no miles on the readout, I usually count stationary riding at 10-12 MPH.

I was mostly concerned about keeping my cadence high and steady. To complete 100 miles, I need to be able to spin at 70-90 strokes per minute for eight to ten hours. I’ve got a long way to go, but some time to get there. The next step is to set up the spreadsheet to track miles.

I usually try to avoid the “health and fitness” mags, but while I was on the rower, the woman next to me left her copy of Shape on the floor next to me. It was hard not to be drawn to the cover -- impossibly buff woman with long blonde windblown tresses in a shiny green bikini. Half-in, half-out of some kind of swim coverup as if they caught her in mid-striptease. I think Cracked.com got it right. No one looks like her. Not even her.

No comments:

Post a Comment