Friday, October 28, 2011

Two days, two books, five miles to nowhere

It's been a busy week, but I did manage to put in about 35 minutes on the bike trainer in our back room over the past couple of days. I usually figure 10-12 miles per hour when on the trainer, so I'm counting it as five miles.

I love to read books while pedaling. Something I  can clearly do only while on something stationary. Wednesday, it was catching up on my accounting homework, reading up on stocks and bonds with the seemingly 18-pound-textbook in hand. (No, it's not that heavy, really, just feels like it sometimes.)

And last night, I was reading a library copy of Kim Brittingham's Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting and Live Large. The book has a "someone recommended this!" sticker inside the front cover, since I recommended that our library purchase it. Not everyone knows this, but public libraries usually take suggestions from patrons on books for purchase. I figured Read My Hips was a nice counterweight to all the diet books.

If you've read it -- you know that photo of her as a young girl? The one where, at the time, she thought she had freakishly large hips? I was about the same build at about the same age and had about the same attitude toward my hips. I never tried to photoshop them with a marker in a picture as she did. I just avoided cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment